Stacy-Deanne: The Voice of a Gen X Author

WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF THE LITERARY DIVA. Stacy is a best selling author, model, landscape photographer and editor. She is featured in the book, " Literary Divas: The Top 100+ African-American Women Writers in Literature " Stacy is a fiction author.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Land of the Fallen Pop Stars

Welcome to the Land of the Fallen Pop Stars. Enter if you dare.



Britney Spears
Fans call her " Brit ". Foes call her " Barbie " and every other name under the sun. I am not a Brit fan okay? As a feminist she embodies a lot that I don’t believe in. I wouldn’t know a Britney lyric if you shouted it at me. I know a couple of song titles but I have never listened to an entire Brit song and the only video of Britney’s I saw was " Baby One More Time " or whatever the heck that song is. We can’t help but notice that Britney is now a fallen star. You remember when she was the " queen ", they say " princess " but if you look at the numbers, Britney ruled music for about six years. That is quite an accomplishment whether we think she deserved it or not. I am still not or ever will be a fan. I don’t agree with women peddling their bodies to sell anything. I don’t agree with icons like the Brit who tells teenage girls you have to dress a certain way or put on a certain image to get attention. It’s dangerous and the reason most girls end up in eating disorder hospitals. Yeah, we all know that most women are puppets in the music industry and Britney was no exception. She went from big smiles (because she had every damn thing) to now, shamelessly using every ploy to get her name in the paper. She’s used her body, her relationships, her music, her so-called virginity and a tacky kiss with Madonna to get attention. And now she is using her baby and the fact that she’s found the real meaning of life. No Brit, the meaning was always there. It’s just that you never saw it. She went from everything she touched turning into gold to not being able to keep a cheap UPN reality show on the air. Will she ever be at the height she was before? Well, honestly she shouldn’t have been there then but nope. Her audience has grown up. Her antics no longer work. I guess motherhood is good for her. Maybe she will grow up and stand on her own two feet. I don’t believe Britney will ever make another album. I just don’t see it. And if she did, I know it won’t come close to anything she’s done before. Stay spiritual Brit. You need it.



Jessica Simpson
Fans call her beautiful. Foes call her dummy. She’s gorgeous. You can’t deny that and she’s much prettier than Spears. You all know I was writing a bio on Jess. I stopped. It just didn’t hold my interest anymore and since her popularity has faded, I lost the desire. I didn’t know anything about her but as I wrote about her, I found respect for her. I didn’t like how she let the music industry sway her since she grew up in the church but hey…I guess she fell down that same road. Jessica experienced a little popularity, more for her looks than ever for her singing. Hands down little sister Ashlee is the most talented. No one took Jessica seriously and she became overexposed very fast. Will she ever sing again? I doubt it but who knows? I believe Nick Lachey will carry on. He’s talented in more ways than one. In my opinion, Jessica has joined the ranks of Britney, in the pop graveyard. It’s funny how people can be so successful one moment than laughingstocks the next. But it happens. Look at this picture. How come they all do that same, " hair blowing, hand on the waist " pose? LOL! That’s why I always liked Aaliyah’s photos. She was so original compared to other singers.


Christina Aguilera
Fans call her sexy and fine. Foes call her a Britney knockoff.She is definitely the most talented of the pop divas. Being the only Hispanic pop star to come along in recent years, Christina has had to prove herself. I bought her first album and loved it. Then, she turned into everything I couldn’t stand. After talking about how Britney used her body to sell albums then Christina goes and does the same thing but took it to such a level that she made a hooker look like a nun. She really overstepped her bounds and I think it not only cost her, her true fans but also her career. Hopefully married life will tame her. But these days being married (in Hollywood) has become such a joke I can’t imagine her staying married for more than three years. I can see Miss Aguilera retiring early. She’s a great singer but she just needs to regroup and get back to what made her so unique. She’s another singer who fell from " class " to " trash " by using her ass (yep I cursed but it needed to be said) in less than two years. When will some women learn that this doesn’t work for long?


Justin Timberlake
Fans call him a joke. Foes call him a pathetic joke. Another person I’ve never listened to. All I know is I was sick of him and Britney hogging up the press. Justin is another case of a fallen pop star due to overexposure. He rode on Britney’s coat tails then when she became bigger then he did, he told all of their bedroom secrets. Shame on you, Justin. Shame. He made some hit songs, stole Michael Jackson’s style and rationalized that by saying he’s MJ’s biggest fan. I never gave Justin a serious thought until the Janet Jackson scandal. This is when he turned pathetic for most by using Janet’s famous " wardrobe dysfunction " to get more attention. Then he got a spot hosting a black awards ceremony or something. I don’t remember what it was exactly. The blacks were enraged because of what he’d done to Janet so they got him kicked off of the special. Now he’s not singing and is embarking on films. In fact he has one coming out soon. How can you be so big on Monday then on Tuesday your life is on a, " Where Are They Now? " segment? It’s amazing when you think about it. People say he had a lack of real talent but I am not one to judge. And by the way, am I the only one that thinks Justin is biracial or has some black in his family? He looks black to me, LOL! I’m serious. I think down the line Justin had some jungle fever going around in his family. Look at that nappy hair. And when he cuts it he really looks black doesn’t he? My mother agrees.


Mandy Moore
Fans call her Mandy. She doesn’t really have any foes. She’s pretty cool. I don’t listen to her music but I’ve seen her in movies and she’s okay. The only thing I didn’t like was that she dated that conceited Andy Roddick (tennis player). I always thought she was so cute. She tried to go the route of Britney and Jessica for a short while by dressing sexy and everything but she seemed to grow out of that. Mandy is the levelheaded one of the pop divas. I am not sure if she is still singing but I know she’s doing pretty well as an actress. I wish her well. She keeps her nose clean and I respect her for that. Probably the only one of the pop divas that will stick around. She's blossomed like a beautiful butterfly.

And last but not least…

The Backstreet Boys
WHO?

Boy this was fun, LOL! Did I leave anyone off the list? You be the judge.

With love,

Bootsy
P.S. (Do you like my cute little link ladies over there? Look to the right.)
I think the one in the black looks like me. But you be the judge.

14 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Abeni said...

lol,the Backstreet Boys comment had me in stitches.ahem,no comment on the lady in black:)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger LadyLee said...

Ha! Ha! Good post... You hit the nail on the head with this one :)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger princessdominique said...

I'm so not for peddling the "tail" either. I think its tacky. Brit is going to get what she deserves whether she believes in karma or not, as for Jessica I'm going to buy her "desserts" products just so Nick can get half. Christina, I hope her new hubby settles her down and asks her to cover up a bit.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

The Backstreet Boys
WHO?

Bhwahahahaha! I wont lie. I have listened to Justin Timberflake. But just one song. I swear it. I was drunk and I didn't know what I was doing. LOL! j/k. Maybe. I've never seen the appeal of pop stars. I prefer singers and song writers preferable who write angry, angsty or anarchist type of music. That’s just me though.

p.s. Did you see Jada Pinkett on David Letterman? It was groundbreaking.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger kathi said...

In agreement here. Jessica Simpson is a looker, and she still has that wholesomeness about her (although I did just see a picture of her on a local radio stations web site of her drunk on her butt...but hey, who hasn't been?).

a girl named shawn ~ I didn't see it, why was it groundbreaking??

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Stone said...

That was funny leave the backstreet boys alone. LOL. thanks for stopping by my spot much love and thanks for your kind words

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina is a HUGE disappointment. She's one of the most talented vocalists of our generation. That was a desperate move. The saddest part is her latest album is HER BEST!!! And it totally contradicts her slutty image cause her lyrics aren't salacious/dirty (except for "Dirrty" which was just a commercial joint) this is what I can't understand. When girls are slutty, their music reflects it, but for X-Tina, it proves that her image wasn't the real her, cause her songs (that she songwrites) have nothing to do with her image and who she claims to be.

Justin Timberfake? I never cared for his music but I do admit that he's talented though. I think you're referring to Motown's Anniversary, yeah they kicked him off. Dude spent his time stereotyping the black man to get a pass, from the his first joint smoked with Nelly, to repeating 126 times "y'nowhamsayin'" in each interview on BET (but not on MTV as if by chance huh?), to his great great great grandma being black on his mother side or father side (depending on his mood, or the weather I guess?), to wearing FUBU and "act black stereotype". Then when the Janet incident happened all of a sudden he forgot about his blackness? Excuse my french but FUCK HIM. Simple reason why I respect Teena Marie or Jon B, they never tried too hard, they loved the music, made great music, were just themselves and we acknowledged their talents with no hesitation.

Mandy Moore, I like this girl, I think she's gonna be just an actress cause she seems to enjoy acting more. And even if she tried the sexy route, I must admit that she was never overtly sexual/slutty/skankish. That's why it didn't really bother me. I wish her much success, I think with time she'll gain Hollywood's respect if she's really serious about her craft (acting that is).

LMAOOOOOOOO @ your Backstreet Boys comment. Poor guys, really, that's really sad.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger crallspace said...

I didn't follow the pop culture when any of these goons were famous, but aside from Britney, I didn't know any of them had fallen- they were always a joke to me.

I'm gonna bookmark you.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Priscilla said...

Come on, don't pretend like you're not a fan of Justins! Ha ha!
No really...I agree with you on Christina...that chica can sing, and the only album I bought of hers is "Mi Reflejo." The advice she took on changing her image was a bad choice...she needs a new stylist!

As for the others, I've never been a fan.
In Jr. High, I loved the New Kids on the Block...remember them? Oh boy, they fell hard. Funny how you like such cheesy things when you're young. I even went to their concert when I was 12...I know...what a big dork I was!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

the ladies are hot.

hold on a minute there...ashlee more talented than Jessica? I don't know about that. Ashlee should stick to writing songs because that singing is god awful

Christina an hispanic pop star? Hahaha
I think she'll be fine. She broke away from the pop mold and established herself as more of an artist. She knew she wasn't a squeaky clean, girl-next-door type and it was a smart move to break away from that image instead of being trapped like Brandy.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

You are sooo wrong! Jessica is wayyyyy more talented than baby sis, Ashlee. But Xtina is far and above more talented than all of them, but she always struck me as having a self-esteem problem -- she seemed unncessarily jealous of Brit.

Okay, the fact that I just typed that paragraph makes me want to seek help. I did go through a pop phase -- I ain't gonna lie! I have all of N-Sync's cds (LOL). AND?????Shoot me! Thanks for the trip down memory/bad-song lane!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

@Kathi-
It was groundbreaking because there are few women who can hold it down with the boys like that. Boys being others of the genre (metal, rock, whatever you wanna call it) who sometimes along with fans don't take female performers in the genre seriously. Assuming females can't rock as hard as they can. Otep and the chick from Arch Enemy and maybe, maybe Kittie rock and are respected in the genre.
Not only did Jada hold it down, her lyrics were... I don't know how to explain it. It was just nice to see someone who refused to stay in the box the world sometimes thinks black women and women in general should stay in.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Joanna Arcieri said...

Justin Timberlake is starring in some film as a gangster/drug dealer. I saw pictures of him in costume (fake tatoos and all) and I think I could beat him up. But this movie is closing the Sundance Film Festival. It looks like crap, btw.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger CydneyR said...

i love me some britney spears - lol - but it will be interesting to see what happens to her career since she got hitched to kevin. to me she is just toooo freaking famous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home