Stacy-Deanne: The Voice of a Gen X Author

WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF THE LITERARY DIVA. Stacy is a best selling author, model, landscape photographer and editor. She is featured in the book, " Literary Divas: The Top 100+ African-American Women Writers in Literature " Stacy is a fiction author.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Have Blogs Lost Their Appeal? What Do U Think?



Why am I asking this? Because in the last two weeks I have noticed that a lot of blogs I visit are no more. Could blogs just be a fad like experts say? At first I didn't think so. Now I am not so sure. I love to search blogs so I come across a lot of interesting ones. Some may be interesting but I choose to lurk. Some I don't post in because either I am not comfortable with the subject matter or the person rubs me the wrong way. I am very cautious when commenting on a man's blog if I don't know him. This can bring you a lot of trouble. Just like women shouldn't overly talk to strange men in public, they shouldn't in the blog world either. Anyway, people have cited different reasons for leaving.

Some say their hearts aren't in it anymore. Some claim that vicious people that didn't agree with their opinions are targeting them. Some say that Blogger sucks and is not worth their time. Others say they are going through personal problems. Others say that they don't get the hits they want so they feel what they say isn't important. Others say they have lost their drive. Others are going through changes in their life and now find blogging a hindrance instead of a reward. Others say they are just too busy. Then you have the ones who say they will return but you realize they never will. What is really sad is that most of the people who leave were so positive. They had the blogs I loved to visit because they lifted me up. I do feel a void, (this may sound silly) when a blog I like just disappears.

Am I the only one who gets sad when a blog I normally visit just drifts away? I decided to post about this to see if any of you have noticed this pattern. Blogs were hot in 2004 and 2005. But 2006 may show a different pattern I'm afraid. I like my blog and though I am doing it now, can't say that I won't one day put mine down as well. When I first started on Blogger I saw so many enlightened people who loved to interact. Most of those people are gone now. How many more of my favorite blogs will drop from the scene? I think blogs are positive and help people connect when they need it the most. I hope this isn't just a fad but with more people dropping off the blog scene each day, I'm beginning to think that it is.

What do you guys think? Is it just a passing fad?

I think this pic symbolizes how fast things can be forgotten. Surprising huh? I usually don't like to show anyone else's boobs but mine...LOL! Just kidding.

Also, on this Janet thing, if Justin was a gentleman why in the heck didn't he give Janet his jacket instead of standing there like a moron? To me it was like he wanted to embarrass her in the first place. I mean he's standing there in that big old tacky jacket (doesn't he have costume designer?) and he doesn't have the decency to give up the jacket huh? I always wondered that. Look how pissed Janet looks, LOL. I bet she cursed him out. Some said this was planned but I didn't believe it. I know Janet has more respect for herself than to disrobe on national television. Especially when she knew it would cause such a backlash. Man I would have kicked Justin's butt for not giving up the jacket.

But seriously...what's happening to blogs?

13 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, happy new year Stacy.

Actually, I started blogging pretty late I think. Some of the blogs I truly loved to read just disappeared, but I believe blogging is a fad.

I compare it to message boards. There was a time when being on MBs was the IN-Thing. Now I'm not saying people don't post on MBs but it's FAR from being as popular as it was in 2001 til 2004. I got tired of MBs and just left it alone, even if I had "e-friends" in one that I truly loved interacting with. Then in 2004 blogging became popular, but I didn't really care to start my own. But reading blogs after blogs made me wanna create my own thing and I did last year in September and I love it.

But 2 years from now people will probably be DONE with blogging because there will be something new. When I say "done", I mean there won't be as many bloggers as there used to be. It's a trend like any other trend and trends are bound to lose their popularity ONE DAY or ANOTHER even if they never totally disappear, they just aren't popular anymore. I blog because I love it, but I'll probably get tired of it some day and maybe one day you will too.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger LadyLee said...

Hey Stacy-D...

I think blogging is a trend, and I too hate it when ones that I like are gone.

My #1 reason for blogging is for myself, to keep up on my writing skills... But I do think it may wear out after a while, but I'll keep up with it. #2- it gives me a place to vent about ish that bothers me. I don't really care about drawing big readership and what not, but mostly, being able to write on the spot is important to me.

Plus I have met interesting people through blogging who's writing skills I admire (like you!).

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Welcome Joy. You think it will be around for 2 more years? I was thinking it would be gone by the end of this year myself. It's just seems to be falling so fast. I agree I used to be into message boards but people had started to be so rude on them and I wasn't the only one who noticed that I cut them out completely. I also didn't like it when Yahoo went from clubs to groups. They weren't as exciting anymore. Now, the only message boards I belong to or my two writers boards so I can interract with other writers. Yes I believe blogging is fading. I also believe that some people like authors and journalists will probably keep theirs up to connect with fans. Thanks for stopping by!

Lady---I agree with you too. I didn't start this to get into a big competition. A lot of people did so they left when they wanted more profile views, stats, etc. But blogging should be to fill your soul not anyone else's. Why does everything have to turn into a competition? I think that blogging will stay around for writers because we all write for a living anyway, LOL. But I don't believe others will stick to it no matter how much they like it. The readership will eventually drop for most people unless you're some sort of public figure or celebrity. Love ya!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

Girl, I agree with you and the other ladies. People are disappearing faster than I can keep up. Of course, I only notice those that I actually like to read when they disappear. My own blog has been a little boring to me, so my posting has slowed way down. Maybe I'll feel inspired to pick up the pace again. Maybe not. But, I still like having a "space" and having a place to catch up with blog friends like you! We'll see how much longer it's around.
Hope all is well!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I agree with what others have said - there will be a new tech-communication thing soon -- and then everyone will jump on the bandwagon for that. I think for people big into promoting (writers, celebrities, etc) it will continue to remain another avenue for getting the word out.

RE Justin and Janet -- I know their eyes weren't closed the whole time during the performance -- but in this picture it looks like both of them have their eyes closed and they are concentrating on signing. While Justin could have gave up his jacket -- Janet should have made sure her twins were firmly in place. LOL. Man, was that just a year ago?

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Abeni said...

Maybe it gets to being a chore and some just drop out.Some persons worry about their content when compared to others and others probably just get bored.When a blogger you interact with suddenly vanishes you wonder what happened to them and if they are even alive so yes you get kinda"attached".

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger DramaFree said...

I guess blogging is a fad. For me, it's entertainment, and my own personal space to vent. Personally, I know I have slacked off on posting, but not because I'm bored with it, but because I just don't have the time for it right now. And then there are other times when I suffer from bloggers block and can't write about anything because the words won't come. Hopefully blogging will stay hot for a minute, becausee it's really entertaining for me, and I like really like the friends that I have made blogging. You all rock!!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Wow, I just start blogging I think in July. But I like writing and I do it to release stress. I think about alot of things and often I like to see how others view life. So I like visiting blogs. But yeah, I really hate it when one of the bloggers I enjoy reading leave the scene. I will always have a blog because it is a way for me to connect with fans and others. But I can only post twice a week, and read others during that time because I have so many commitments. I like reading alot of blogs but it is so time consuming. For those who are not into writing, entertainment, etc., they won't stay around long. But I know bloggers who stopped who have emailed me because they don't get posted by others. You have to do this for you.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Meadow said...

Interesting that this is your topic since I *just* tried to visit the blog of a friend only to find out it is gone and I did get a little teary b/c she'd said she was going to put it down after a young family member had been murdered and she just wasn't feeling the blog anymore.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. :)

Anyway, I don't think blogging is a fad. I think it'll be around a long while. It's a great forum for self-expression and everybody wants that.

But I think the way individuals use their blogs may change and sometimes whatever need drove a person to start a blog may become satisfied from other sources, so the blog is no longer necessary. Or maybe the need wasn't being satisfied in the blog at all, so they discontinue it.

So, yes. Bloggers will come and go but blogging as a way of expression, I think will be here awhile.

Peace & Prosperity

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger kathi said...

I've seen a few blogs up and go...but that's the way some people are in reality too. You hear from them, then they're gone for awhile, then they're back.
The Janet/Justin thing. C'mon, first he was probably 'lookin', then shocked. Yeah, he should have given her his jacket, but if it'd been me, I'd had both hands covering myself up too.
And...won't be getting rid of me anytime soon. Cheap therapy

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger lyre said...

i started blogging in march 05 to get over a bad relationship. i deleted the blog in 12.05 because it made me feel pathetic. then i missed the friends i had made and decided to come back. blogging like anything else is a communication device. i didnt know that my thoughts would be so welcomed or thought about but they were. uncomfortable at first so now i temper my posts. my mother always said, "be careful what you put on paper" and i would add 'on blogs'. But i love everything IMs message boards, blogging, myspace, email...etc. i have friends in each thing. i hope we never just disappear.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

I am disappointed that 3 blogs I enjoyed visiting disappeared in to the night. I really enjoy reading blogs and hope it's not a fad. I do believe like high school and college there will be new classes of bloggers that will enter blogsphere to replace those that have graduated to something else.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger CydneyR said...

Hmm, I haven't really checked people's blogs lately and hadn't noticed that some don't do it anymore. Like - did they totally remove their link or something? Or they just aren't posting like they used to? Some folks could be busy, or lack a hot topic to discuss...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home