Stacy-Deanne: The Voice of a Gen X Author

WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF THE LITERARY DIVA. Stacy is a best selling author, model, landscape photographer and editor. She is featured in the book, " Literary Divas: The Top 100+ African-American Women Writers in Literature " Stacy is a fiction author.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Goodbye Black Programming---Hello CW


(Caution: The pain and anger of my slavery ancestors is going to come out during this post)

I’m scared. Why would the combining of UPN and WB scare me you ask? Because of what it symbolizes. I can’t help but think that this was all done purposely to shut out successful black programming. It has taken years for intelligent blacks to find shows to relate to. We either had to deal with buffoonery stereotypical shows that made blacks look as ignorant, materialistic, sex crazed or poor as they possibly could. Many outside the black community may not realize that intelligent blacks hate BET. We hate programming that relies on stupidity only because networks think it’s easy to get cheap laughs out of black people. The intelligent black crowd turned their backs on BET and other outlets that continued to show blacks in a negative light long ago. That is not who we are although it may seem like it to many.

Black people are capable of having good shows without falling into the trap of letting networks motivate their purpose. Bernie Mac is the perfect example of a man who takes charge of his show. He told Fox how he wanted his show to be handled and that is how it has been run since it started. I admire people like Bernie who tell the networks to f--- off when they know a change would be harmful to a certain crowd or audience. But back to the CW…

I don’t know why I think of this so politically. Maybe it’s because I’m black. Maybe it’s because this seems to be another slap in the face to me. Just when we get a network (though UPN isn’t perfect) that caters to blacks, suddenly it has to go. Is it just a coincidence that UPN was cut out of the naming of the new network? C stands for CBS, and W stands for WB. Okay, what about the three letters U-P-N? They couldn’t fit that in anywhere? And should I believe it is just a coincidence that almost all of the WB’s shows that cater to white audiences are being handed over to the CW even though some of them were failing in the ratings? Yet the networks are keeping mum about UPN shows and have only named about three that’s making the move. One being Veronica Mars. I guess I should be glad of that right? At least the cast is somewhat diverse. (Note the sarcasm)

I don’t even watch UPN except for Eve but this still hurts. If you think that this was just a coincidence then you are fooled my friend. I believe the powers that be wanted to get rid of a network that it took years for blacks to obtain. Some people take a mile when given an inch. It’s funny how in television I can’t remember blacks having a mile. I know this was racially driven. I know this in my heart and you all know I am not one to play the race card. And this hurts. It really hurts because I am scared that blacks will go back to being nonexistent when it comes to television. They blame it on poor ratings for some of the black UPN sitcoms. Oh yeah? Who has the meters in their homes? The only black person I ever heard with a meter was my aunt and she gave it up years ago because it took too much time. I don’t believe too many families in Harlem or Brooklyn got the meters do you? But I bet everybody in Beverly Hills has one. So what does that say? We never had our chance to give input to the ratings. And of course our shows are not going to outshine those on major networks because they are not ON major networks. That’s the point. When will these networks see that comparing black shows to shows on ABC, NBC, and CBS is pointless when our shows don’t even have the fair chance to compete? I could be pissed just because Eve happens to be a show I enjoy. I could be pissed because I know deep in my heart that they won’t bring Eve to the CW. Hell I could be pissed about my wrists hurting or not having enough time to finish things I need to do. I could be pissed about a lot of things. But today, right now, at this point in time, I’m pissed about this. It is more than the combining of networks. It is the constant reminder of how we just won’t ever be accepted in this world. You know we don’t care about that anyway. Blacks don’t want to be accepted by " society " but we do want to be respected.

I just hope CBS and WB claiming networks were struggling fool no one. They were struggling years ago when they started too. But when UPN had a good dose of white shows a few years back, no one decided it was time to change things then did they? If they get rid of Eve it would be a shame. It is probably one of the most intelligent and non-stereotypical black sitcoms to be made in years. I loved the fact that three women owned their own business and didn’t rely on men for anything. Eve’s black characters are college educated with good jobs. You won’t find one " ghetto " soul on Eve. You don’t know how much watching something so positive for blacks meant to me. It’s also funny as hell so if they get rid of it, I know it wasn’t because of the show. I know the ratings are up there. Eve has always been one of UPN’s top shows. No, it’s just because this is how things are going to be done now and forever.

It hasn’t been easy hearing the racist statements about UPN over the years. Some people called it " The Nigger Network ". Others called specific line-up days " Welfare Nights ". But you think we cared what it was called? No we’re used to being called a lot of things. We just wanted to support the little inch of meaningful programming we had. Now that’s gone.

So don’t believe this is just a coincidence. It is much more. It may even mean that blacks are slipping backwards in network programming. That is, if blacks will even exist in primetime major network television at all any longer. I don’t know if we will or not? Do you? Seems like UPN was our last chance. And I hate to think how blacks might disappear from television once Oprah calls it a quits.

The photo is Eve

Stacy

Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics

23 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger LadyLee said...

Yeah... I too thought that was a little jacked up the way it went down... and no, they aren't fooling anyone with this stupid move....

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Stone said...

Like you I see that there is hardly any good black programming out there. I love "girl friends" because it shows some strong yet very funny black female characters. As I look around I noticed that there is really no other show like it on air that is so funny and i can relate too. Even the Latinos have no outlets its a damn shame. I hate WB so many damn white shows and even a black guest. American is still in a lot of ways the same as it was 60 years ago.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Mr.Slish said...

I liked your post and your right shows like Eve, One on One, Half and Half will probably get lost in the mix but Everybody Hates Chris that show is a keeper. What should really happen is BET should step up their game and acquire every U Pick a Nigga program..lol..

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger lyre said...

If this is truly a racially motivated move then I think what we must do is get ourselves a meter. I am a black female that had a neilsen meter in my home the past 5 years. I sold my home and decided not to continue because they constantly call you to check equipment and come over for 4 hour appointments. Plus the 100 dollars every 6 months wasnt worth the invasion of my privacy. But my point is that when I signed up and at every phone call they asked me for names of other afrian american friends that they could call to put boxes in homes. None of the people I referred accepted. WE are our own worst enemy. And in this day in time, why should we be looking for someone else to give us a network. There are enough colored folk out there to start another UPN. We have our own record companies, labels, production groups, self publications, etc. A little collaboration together might make a colored pwerhouse. We need a network company like Tyler Perry, who took his own show n the road!We are a talented people but one of my issues with my race so fresh out of slavery is that we maintain a slave mentality. We look to master to give us something not realizing that we can do for self. That is one thing I respected Malcom X for preaching for the black community to do for self. Turn that anger Stacey in to PRODUCTION instead of consumption. You feelin' me? It is only until we TAKE or own fate (or tv boadcasting) in our hands that we will truly be free.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Hi All!

Enjoying the comments!

Ladylee, Stone, Mr. Slish- I totally agree with this just being a kick in the face.

BDW and Teli- Welcome, I agree too. First off, realize that I am a soldier myself. Anyone who knows me will vouch for that. I've never been one to just take something but the fact is that in my young life I have always been the one standing for things when others (namely other blacks) just sat back and took it. I agree we all need to do something but the fact is that we can only do so much because the blacks that have the power to make networks tend to go towards the " stereotypical " black crowd. What gets me is that black people fight to be thought of as something better than those stereotypes but you notice that the blacks with all the power flock to that? They get networks and shows and they start dishing out the stereotypes the same as some of the whites in charge of everything. I think the people that need to do something about this will be the creators of these shows. I just said to my mother today, " Will Eve and these others fight to keep these shows on? " THEY are the ones with the power on this because they're up there with the networks where the people may listen to them. The people don't care about viewers anymore. That changed years ago. It's not just about race too it's about the networks don't care if people like shows all they care about are ratings. I used to petition and write in when they tried to change or cancel a show but I don't do that anymore. Why? Because I got tired of being one of few who always seemed to lead the fight. So now I worry only about me. But it still gets to me because I see that they are using some merger as an excuse. I don't ever play the race card but I did today because I needed to vent. So I am with both of you on that. I never sit around on my butt complaining. I've always been an activist and fighter but sometimes you get sick of fighting when others just throw in the towel. It's millions of viewers and black celebrities that could stand up for UPN. They did it for that murderer Tookie. Where are they now? I think the true power is with Eve, Holly Robinson and all the other blacks and minorities who are on this network. My life won't change because of this but I hate to see how the younger folks may end up in years to come if they turn around and see not one decent black network. But I am sure there will be more than enough stereotypical ones that pop up. I'll miss Eve though. Hopefully she'll get picked up. But it isn't so easy to get your own network because most of the blacks that could get them probably wouldn't be the right image for the community anyway. The truth is this effects all of us, Latinos, Asians and blacks. We're all in the same boat. I guess it's a good thing people are turning to cable.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Also, yes I too am all for diverse programming because that's what I look for. I don't even watch UPN it's just that this is a tacky thing to do, you must admit. I mean it's obvious they are doing this mainly to get rid of those black shows. Maybe one day we'll have a channel with all races on it. We'll see. Maybe Oprah will start one, LOL! Yeah! Oprah needs to start a network.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Yes this is a trickery move...I hope that we can find another station. I watch UPN all the time.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Clay said...

i dont like any of those shows on upn -- girlfriends, half/half, one/one ... it seems like many people just like them because they are black and we starved for some type of representation. i dont know what to expect w/ the merger but i dont think UPN was that great before it. they are all white shows w/ black faces, slang terms and rolls of the head.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey girl -- I feel your passion. But the truth is, they haven't announced what they are doing with the UPN Shows. I hope Eve, Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, and Tyra/America's Next Top Model will all be carried over. Those are the only things I watch on UPN. And who knows, this may be an opportunity for more blacks to produce quality shows like Shonda Rhimes the black woman behind ABC's acclaimed, Grey's Anatomy. You have to admit the black shows on UPN ain't all quality. Can you say Cuts? I guess I'm at the point where I want to reserve judgment until I know more of the facts. I remember when Essence was sold out to TIME INC., everyone predicted that would be the beginning of the end for Essence as we knew it -- but that turned out to not be the case. I know it's not quite the same thing -- but it seems similar forces may be in play...stay positive, Sunny D!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger E said...

I have to admit to being a bit nervous about this merger. The shows that I've read from UPN that are making it in the merge are EHC, ANTM, VM, and wrestling. I'm hoping Half & Half makes it.

I can't speak for the rest of the shows, but yes Clay, part of the reason I like Half & Half is because it's IMHO an excellent show that depicts real life situations where the majority of the characters happen to be black. Plus it's the best show I've seen in a while when it comes to continuity in guest characters. No same actor playing two different roles ALA Fresh Prince (not that I had a problem with that..*LOL*).

I haven't watched Eve since it moved to Thursdays but it is a good point about the show depicting minority women starting their own business. That's always a positive thing.

This is definitely a hot topic Stacy. Thank you for your eloquent thoughts in this regards.

I nervously await to see the final judgment.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

Man, I responded on this thread last night. What the crap happened to my entry? I thought you were crazy for directing me to offer my opinion.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Shawn you dope! You responded to the OTHER post, LOL!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger chele said...

I hear what you're saying. I'm in agreement with michelle, in that everything on UPN ain't quality. I commented on Shawn's blog a while back about this same topic ... it will be interesting to see what happens to the Black programming as a result of this merger. We need more Black people behind the cameras ... who are the decision makers instead of more in front of the cameras.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Trust me when I say replied on this entry. I don't know what happened to blogger last night.

To sorta paraphrase my words last night:

I don't think really think this move is as much racially motivated as it is economically motivated. For these businesses it's about money. They make money catering to advertisers who covet the beloved 18-49 demographic.

Let's not get carried away applauding UPN for becoming an urban network. I am certain that wasn't the vision when the network began. The urban program boom was a byproduct of unsuccessful mainstream shows in the face of moderately successful urban shows. They realized that they could stay afloat a bit longer capitalizing on the urban community but the idea has always been for UPN to be as mainstream as CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX.

I think BET has always been lacking in vision. I am glad to see that they're running syndicated episodes of black shows now but why didn't this happen years ago? Why hasn't BET ever produced it's own scripted programming? Please, don't mention those harlequin romance movies. They were terrible.

BET could be so much further along than they are now. If they had built up this network like say Lifetime you wouldn't have to concerned about UPN closing up shop and cancelling some of your favorite shows.

I really admire how Lifetime has built itself to be the premiere network for women. They've worked hard and smart to get to where they are currently. I look at Disney and Nickelodeon and other cable channels that really know how to cater to their niche markets. They've parlayed that into greater success. The programming on these networks improves year in and year out. Why not BET? Don't you think the Boondocks shoulda been offered to the world by us?

That's my take.

PS - don't assume these actors you mentioned have as much control over these shows as you implied. The networks and the studios own the rights and the actors are employees. Unless you're show is off the charts successful a la ER/Friends/Seinfeld you are expendable.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I forgot to add that nielsen ratings are so important. The fact that more black families don't have meters adversely effect the sampling.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I guess I learned something here. I didn't know they referred to UPN as the "nigger network." Dang.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

I'm loving these comments!

Shawn---I can always count on you to break it down. I do still sort of believe this was racially motivated and you know that's strange coming from me because I am not always someone that screams " racism ". Now I am not saying that was the ONLY reason. You are right. It is all about money but Shawn I still have to wonder when most of the shows not returning are the black ones. And why didn't they include any of the UPN letters in the name? I just get the feeling they were trying to dissolve the entire channel. Also I didn't really mean to imply that the actors have a lot of clout with decisions, but I just meant that if someone can get their voice heard louder than the viewers it might be them. I see your point. Unless you're someone like Oprah or Bill Cosby people probably wouldn't listen whether you were black or white! Thanks for breaking this down from an entertainer's perspective! You are right about Blogger. It's a mess, LOL!

Brotha Buck--Welcome. And yes it's a shame but I have witnessed this on a lot of message boards during the years. It goes to show how far someone can go behind a computer but you know they wouldn't have the guts to say these things to anyone's face. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Nothing america does surprises me. This is just another way of them telling us that beyond their first initial need of us we are not valuble to them.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

So would you feel less annoyed if the new network were named PW? The call letters don't really bother me.

Also, all the black UPN shows probably haven't been cancelled yet. What's happened is they haven't received an early 'pick up'(=renewal) like that terrible Veronica Mars, ANTM and EHC. The final schedule won't be determined til May after pilot season is concluded. I am sure a few of the black shows that don't make the fall schedule will be held over for midseason replacement.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the shows on UPN show us in a positive light, but BET is the worst. The music, the embrass of the out of control ghetto lifestyle is a way of painting us into a corner. Basically the only way to combat shows like this is to boycott them and the networks that carry them.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Shawn---PW, you're a hoot! Nope the name doesn't matter but I just wondered why they seemed to totally ignore the UPN network as a whole. It just seemed to symbolize the bigger picture to me. I hope all of the more positive shows are picked up though. If not by CW then by another network. Who knows? Maybe this will be a good thing after all. Maybe it will force the blacks with real power to create networks for minority communities. As I sleep on this topic, I am wondering if maybe this could be a good sign. Maybe through all of this something bigger and better will happen for minority programming in the long run. If so then I am all for it. I will remain positive no matter what.

Ruben- Excellent point!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger lyre said...

Just wanted to put this bug in your ear. My sister showed me podcasts that she subscribes to. i asked her how difficult it would be to upload a weekly podcast. you know where I am going, dont you? I see a blog show in your future. i would subscribe!!!! Come on Stacy-D...Give us our own BLOGSHOW!!! Forget the MAN! Produce!!! I will consume!!!

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I can definitely feel the passion in this post and yes -- I agree! Black programming on the major networks is taking a big step back with the creation of the CW. Then again, with most networks, shows drop off and get picked up mid-season all the time. Depending on how their programming blocks will run, there could be room for more shows between now and September. Also, all of the remaining Black shows are going to be put in at the same place -- the Sunday night prime time block. Sabotage, maybe? FOX owns Sunday night with their animation lineup, so the fate of the remaining shows is at stake too.

Another suggestion: voice your opinion over at TV Squad; I know some industry folks read that site, and to date, no one's brought up the obvious issue you're discussing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home